The War Memorial

 

 

Coggeshall's war memorial is very different in that it takes the form of a public recreation ground as well as a more conventional obelisk. It  is situated on East Street in an area formerly known as Starling Leeze and the ground was bought by public subscription after the Great War and is designated as a recreational green space in perpetuity as a memorial to those men of Great and Little Coggeshall who made the supreme sacrifice.

Facing East Street is a monument of grey granite surmounted by a bronze winged figure depicting Victory, all designed and made by Mr J. L. Watts of Colchester. The whole scheme cost about 1200 in 1920.

In 2015 the war memorial was given Grade 2 listing by English Heritage as being of historical importance.

Laying the foundation stone in 1920

 

 

The new memorial in 1920

 

The names of the fallen from the Great War

     
After the Second World War more names of the fallen were added.
 

The names of the fallen from the Second World War

 

The memorial

     
For information on those men listed on the memorial can be found in the Roll of Honour for both World Wars in the Family Research page on this site

Return to Guided Walk map